Thursday, July 10, 2008

Just for Giggles

It appears the old saying is right - You can take the girl out of Jersey but you can't take the Jersey out of the girl.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast
 

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia
 
The Inland North
 
The Midland
 
The South
 
Boston
 
The West
 
North Central
 
What American accent do you have?


I hope the Minion doesn't grow up with an Ohio accent, however one of those sounds. I hope we can keep him from adopting some of the midwest phrases and habits that offend my sensibilities, such as saying "please?" instead of "what?" and "pop" instead of "soda." 13 years later the pop thing grates on my nerves just as much as it did when I first came to this barren state. Don't even get me started on "cornhole," which has a very different meaning where I come from. For some reason the lackluster view I had from the plane in May when we were flying back into Ohio has been stuck in my head lately.



Don't get me wrong, there are definite positives to living out here, especially the reasonable cost of living and the ability to own our own home because the property taxes are manageable. However, there's nothing more that I'd like at this moment than to pack up the car and head for the Jersey Shore. Summer time always makes me nostalgic for the boardwalk, pizza and lemonade, and the smell of the ocean. On some hazy Saturday mornings I find myself squinting my eyes shut as I walk across the blacktop of Dunkin's parking lot, imagining just for a moment that we've loaded the car with beach towels and an umbrella and we're about to journey down the GSP for an afternoon in the sand. I find myself often wishing that we would be raising the Minion in or just outside of New York City. Sometimes I even think I have Charlie convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails