Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Creativity Needed

At my new place of employment we participate in an annual United Way fund drive. Our office also does an art contest to go along with it, and the winning team gets an extra half day of vacation. We were randomly split into 5-person teams and my team decided that we're each going to decorate two squares and make a quilt. Well, really, one team member decided on that course of action, the other three agreed that it was a great idea, and now I've been sucked along for the ride.

The themes for this year's fund drive are "Building Social and Economic Equity and a Healthy Environment" and "Give. Advocate. Volunteer. Live United."

WTF am I supposed to do with that? On 6-inch quilt squares, no less? I can't embroider, I can't draw, and I can't paint. The only thing I can think of so far is to go out and take pictures and make them into iron-ons. But what would I take pictures of? I took my camera with me to the market last week so food could be an obvious representation of the "Healthy Environment" aspect, but that just seems so cheap.

If I had more then a week you bet your ass I would have sent them out to my super-talented-artist sister in NYC to do them for me :p


Other than this art contest I still love my job and I'm still glad I came. I'm actually in the process of building a database for women's health indicators, including data on pre- and post-natal care, c-section rates, fertility treatment coverage, and breastfeeding, just to name a few. I'm super excited to get this resource out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails