Monday, July 25, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge - Week 15

Welcome to Week Fifteen of the 30 Day Song Challenge! This week's topic is "A Song that Reminds you of Summer."

Is there anything you remember from your childhood or adolescence or early adult years that no one else remembers? Some candy, or some game, or some TV show that you can clearly picture in your mind, but no one else seems to know what you're talking about? I have one - the Out of Order Weekly Countdown with Jed the Fish. When I was a teenager, I wasn't so much into the Top 40 music - Casey Kasem was not my friend. I liked the grungy alternative stuff. Thankfully, they had a dedicated countdown every weekend on the single alternative rock radio station. It was called "Out of Order," and it was hosted by Jed the Fish. The gimmick was that instead of counting down from 20 to 1, they counted down from 20 to 2 in a random order and then saved the number one for last. No one remembers it, but thanks to Google, I can prove it existed. And wow, apparently it's still on the radio.

Anyway. I used to listen religiously when I was 14 and 15, before they replaced the one decent Cincinnati radio station with more country music. The number one song on Out of Order for all of 1996 also happened to be our summer anthem (I know I've mentioned the awesomeness of that summer before).

The Butthole Surfers, Pepper



Just add it to the list of songs that remind me of being young and stupid.




1 comment:

  1. You do have an advantage on me with teen memories since your teens are not as far back in time as mine.  That's Ok because it's good exercise.
    There's many songs I recall listening to on transistor radio - Foxy Lady, Good Golly Miss Molly (CCR version), Lookin' out My Back Door, Get Back.  I could go on but now I need to think about the right selection.
    Oh I always thought grunge songs were too depressing.  Maybe I just missed the good ones? 

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails