Wednesday, July 6, 2011

D-Day

"D" as in "Dentist." I hate the dentist more than almost anything in the world. I've hated the dentist since I was eight, when I got my first teeth pulled. I was cursed with a small mouth (though those who know me would never believe it) and stubborn teeth, so in twos and threes all but two of my baby teeth were pried from my mouth. I used to hide in the toy cubby under the fishtank in the waiting room, and my mom would have to drag me out kicking and screaming. Then there were the 6 years and change in braces, including the dreaded headgear. No, I won't post a picture. Then the wisdom teeth and the root canal. Ouch!

Going to the dentist gives me so much anxiety that I've been known to cancel appointments the night before. I have to be there at 10:00 today. I feel like I'm counting down to my doom.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you don't like the dentist... I also had to wear headgear as a teenager. Not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't wear braces or headgear but I have crooked teeth.  It doesn't bother me.  About 15 years ago I chipped my front teeth (top and bottom).  It took a little while but I got used to it.  The dentist continues to remind me that he could fix the chip and I continue to say no thanks.  I have had cavities and more recently crowns.  It not a favorite place but I'm alright with visits there.  Really the only scary problem would be gum disease and hopefully the visits will keep that away.
    Oh one more thing - my dentist (older than me) absolutely hates milk and thinks everyone should stop drinking cow's milk.  He's a funny guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dentist isn't so bad.  my dentist is super attractive and his dreamy blue eyes make all the anxiety go away :) maybe you just need a hot dentist :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! My dentist is a woman, and I've been seeing her for 15 years. She's actually really awesome, but she wasn't the one who pulled my teeth out all those years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, they certainly are NOT attractive contraptions. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty certain I never allowed a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of crowns. I have one and I feel like I'm hyper aware of it all the time - I haven't bit into an apple since I got it 10 years ago.

    Cow's milk kind of icks me out if I think about it too much. That's why I only drink the chocolate kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, def no photos. I remember BEGGING my orthodontist to agree to me not taking it on Spring Break with me in 8th grade. It was a week in FL with my friend's family and their family friends. Including her older brother and his friends. I actually still have my headgear. I showed it to hubby once...

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it makes you feel any better...Shawn has a huge phobia of dentists!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails