Monday, January 31, 2011

The Sound of Silence

Charlie slept until 8:30 yesterday morning. Or so I thought.

C and I had gone out with some friends the night before and got back home pretty late - way past my usual bedtime. I woke up around 7, realized that Charlie was still sleeping, and went back to bed. I woke up again around 8:15 and jumped in the shower. Shortly after I got in, Charlie started whining to get up, so C went in to get him. A few seconds later I heard chaos from down the hall and then the sound of the bath water running. I knew it couldn't be good. It wasn't.

It turns out that while I was lying in bed enjoying the peace and quiet and thinking about how lucky I was that my toddler had decided to sleep in, he had decided to change his own dirty diaper (still in diapers overnight). I walked in to find the offending diaper on the dresser with an entire (new!) package of baby wipes mushed up inside of it. Not that he pulled the whole package out in one chunk, either. Each wipe was individually removed, used, and crumpled up. It took some TIME. Of course, that wasn't the worst of it. The worst of it would have to be the poop that had been smushed into the carpet.

Actually, I take that back. The worst of it would be the dirty diaper I found shoved under his bed a few hours later, when I realized that the diaper on the dresser with all of the wipes in it must have been the CLEAN diaper he was trying to put on.

At least he was trying to help, right? And WHEN will I learn that the sound of unexpected silence isn't something to be cherished, but something to be FEARED??

5 comments:

  1. OMG, that's hilarious. I'm sure it wasn't very funny for you at the time though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can still see my mother's face when she told me and my sister, "I can't trust your brother if he gets too quiet." He was 2 years old at the time........think how many years ago that was! I had a paint by number kit (OIL paints, mind you) that he had taken off the shelf in my closet, and was painting the wall of my bedroom with it. Oh my.

    I hope your carpet came clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! What a mess!

    I've learned- silence is not good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness! How funny!

    Yep, If FireGirl is quiet for too long, I know I've got to check on her. Although I have to admit, first thing in the morning, I might assume, like you, that she simply slept in that day.

    Hope you can get the carpet clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for NO pictures, your words were enough.
    Guess he might be DIY kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails