Monday, July 26, 2010

Potty Training. Ehhhhhh.

So we went diaperless starting on Saturday. Charlie has been exhibiting a lot of the signs that they tell you to look for in order to tell if they're receptive to potty training. He has noticeable signs that he gives when he's in process. He has a fairly regular "going" schedule. He asks for a new diaper when he needs to be changed. I think I was also spoiled by the easy transitions that he's made so far, with the no pacifier, bottle-to-cup, breastmilk to cow's milk, Ferbering, big-kid-bed, etc.

We even let him pick out some super hero undies. I don't think he quite got the point, at first.



Anyway. Saturday was pretty rough. He would get very distracted and then pee on the floor when he was preoccupied with something else. No matter how closely we watched it was always in that split second when both of us were looking at something else. Actually, the "something else" was usually something that Charlie was doing, so maybe it was intentional distraction on his part. Yesterday started off a little shaky, because he didn't want to sit on the potty at all, which is very unusual for him. I'd like to say that we had some success, but I'm not convinced that it was all intentional on his part and that there wasn't some dumb luck mixed in there. That and the fact that he didn't have to poop all day. When I think about it, I'm not sure if he didn't have to or didn't want to.

So here we are on Monday. He's going to daycare with two pairs of undies and two extra pairs of pants. I don't know how patient they'll be with the situation, but I'm hoping they'll at least give him two chances. I'm most worried about what's going to happen when he gets too wrapped up in playing and forgets that he has to go. On the upside, he really seems to hate having wet undies, so maybe that will be a motivator.

I knew it was going to be difficult, but nothing prepares you for the joy that is being completely house-bound for an entire Sunday with nothing to do but keep watch over your child's elimination functions. You would think that it would be a BFD to them, too, since potty training means never crapping your pants again. What's not to like about that?

1 comment:

  1. Jene, you are a brave, brave woman sending him to daycare in undies after only one weekend of semi-succesful potty training ;) Seriously though, if you're interested in reading on the subject at all, I really liked "The No-Cry Potty Training Solution" It's no miracle solution, but I found it helpful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails