Friday, January 22, 2010

For real?

I listen to ESPNradio pretty much all day at work. I totally get that their target demographic is mostly males, so I can deal with the advertisements for hair replacement, 5-hour energy drinks, and HDTVs. There are even a few spots that have been running for a few years about how important it is to be a good parent and how to spend more quality time with your kids.

Then there's the long-running commercial for AshleyMadison, the online dating site for married people. A site that exists for the sole purpose of providing people with good matches so that they can cheat on their wives.

That's bad enough, but the commercial that I heard yesterday really pushed me over the edge. It started out simple enough, an advertisement for a (probably scammish) start-your-own-business-and-work-from-home company. I usually tune out when the commercials are playing, or take the headphones off altogether, but my ears certainly picked up when I heard one of the most offensive leads ever:

"Do you hate sending your kids off to daycare so they can be raised by someone else?"

Wait a minute, did I hear that right? Yes, yes I did. How sucktacular of them to say something like that. It really pissed me off, and someone is going to get a nasty letter about it, even though I'm sure it's not going to matter.

I hate that working mothers are so often made to feel guilty by the rest of society in general, but to use an emotion like that for advertising purposes is just downright disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails