Friday, September 5, 2008

My Name is Jene, and I'm an EPer

I've decided to embrace the breastpump and accept my status as an "Exclusive Pumper." I still can't get the little bugger back on the boob and I've settled into a pretty good routine with my PISA, so I'm going to go with what's already working for us. It will also probably be easier when I go back to work so we don't have to deal with the nipple confusion issue all over again. I've found some good support websites - a few women on the Nest, an iVillage board dedicated to the subject, and some miscellaneous informational sites. Unfortunately, I've also found lots of sites that lambaste the practice, saying that it's not really breastfeeding and shouldn't be done. Sure, it's not 100% the same, but isn't bottled breastmilk better than no breastmilk at all?

That's the one thing that I've come to discover real quickly - everyone has their own parenting style and is generally convinced that their way is the best (only?) way to do things. Baby C has slept in his crib every night since he came home. Are we bad parents because we don't co-sleep? No, but I've gotten shocked and horrified looks from quite a few people when they hear that. I'm not one to put down co-sleepers - I can see the benefits of it, especially for women who breastfeed, but it's just not something we were interested in.

Parenting matters seem to be as polarizing as politics for some people, whether it's the Ezzo debate (not a fan), the horrors of formula feeding (I prefer to give breastmilk, but not everyone does or is able to), or the cry-it-out controversy (haven't gotten there yet). Add to that the question of whether women should work or stay at home and you have a veritable shit storm brewing (for those of you who don't know, I'm returning to work). At this point it's a storm that I have no interest of chasing, which is why I got so irritated when someone asked if I had a new appreciation for stay at home moms. No, I don't have a new appreciation, I was never unappreciative to begin with. I might not have understood exactly how having a child changes your life, but that doesn't mean that I had no respect for women who choose to stay at home. That's what the feminist movement was all about, after all - having the choice. Why would I look down on someone who didn't make the same choice I did? In certain circumstances I might question their judgement when making that choice, but it's really none of my business and when I walk back into my office after the 12 whole unpaid weeks of FMLA that our government so generously gives (some of) us I won't be feeling superior to anyone and I don't believe I'm shortchanging my child.

8 comments:

  1. I agree completely - and it's funny, I've pretty much done everything opposite of you.

    ~ I was an EBFer (exclusive breast feeder)
    ~ We co-slept for the first 4 months, and then Colin slept in his swing for the next 2.
    ~ I chose to stay at home

    Does that make me any better or worse than you? NO! Does it mean that Baby Charlie or Colin aren't equal and we love them any differently? NO! It's just a matter of opinion, there are benefits to both.

    I'm glad that we have the freedom to make the choices we make. :-)

    P.S. Did you get a package in the mail from us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jene, I just wanted to say good for you for "embracing your pump" and not giving up on breastfeeding. I know it can be tough in the beginning. But..I would recommend continuing to try putting Charlie to your breast every now and then - don't stress about it, don't force it, but you may be surprised what will happen down the road! There is NOTHING wrong with EP'ing, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you can get Charlie to latch it will make your life easier down the road - even moreso when you return to work! It's quicker, cleaner, and you'll cut down on the amount of bottle washing you need to do! Again, if you end up EP'ing that is great and it's even better that you've given up stressing about it. But it might not be worth completely throwing in the towel just quite yet :-)

    -Alison (alisonada)

    P.S. We also slept in separate rooms from day one and I work FT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be a SAHM and have already made the decision to exclusively pump (flame away, lol!!) I will not do the co-sleeping thing, I didn't even know what it was until a few weeks ago and the moment I figured out what it was I knew it was not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on Bean!
    Just caught up on swing blog,and want to congrat you on a splendid decision.Baby C. might be wondering what took M&D so long to let him have so much fun. Remember when you wer little and experienced the joy of swings? I'm sure he is delighted and soothed by the rhythm, and it gives him a sense of empowerment! (LOL) In any case, it's a win-win decision, so relax and enjoy. Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on, Bean!
    Just read the post re: the swing, and congrats on making a very wise choice...Should be no guilt at all! Baby C. loves the rhythmic motion,as do all babies. He finds it delightful and soothing and probably wonders why it took you so long to get it. So,it's a win-win situation. Enjoy. Dine in peace.(BTW, when does he start on real food?)
    Love +xxxxxxxx...Gram

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah for you! I have been lucky in that Reece has not had problems with nipples...he just likes them all! HA HA! I don't know if I would have continued if I had to exclusively pump. I don't mind pumping once or twice a day, but I don't think I'd do it all the time. Good for you for embracing the pump...and sticking with it. It truly is the best thing you can give to baby C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't matter how he gets that breastmilk as long as he gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you said that about the feminist movement! That's exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails