Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike in Cincinnati

The leftovers of Hurricane Ike hit Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon. I'm a compulsive weather checker, and they had predicted heavy rains for the afternoon and evening. It only sprinkled a bit, but we ended up with 80MPH winds that threw the whole area into a state of emergency. Pretty much every school in the area was closed Monday, lots of them yesterday, and some today. There are trees down all over, fires, looters, damaged homes, and over a million houses were without power at the height of the blackout.

We were incredibly lucky that our house didn't sustain any damage - both of our next-door neighbors lost pieces of their roofs, sections of siding, and gutters. C had put together a chicken roulade that he was really excited about. When the power went out he was pretty irritated (yet another reason the electric stove sucks), so he decided to dig out his camping stove and cook us dinner on the front step.

I freaked out about my couple hundred ounces of frozen breastmilk - on the verge of tears thinking about all of my hard work thawing out and then having to be poured down the drain. Luckily my friend Lynn was in the one neighborhood that was spared, so she let me keep it in her freezer. Good thing my pump has battery backup!

I've decided that my pump needs a name. I enjoy applying personal traits to inanimate objects. (My KitchenAid is named Mixie - note the Sublime reference, there's a whole song that goes along with it). Any suggestions? Here's a picture of it.



My bottles aren't as stylish, though.

3 comments:

  1. the suction cups kind of remind me of the eyes of the robot from short circuit...what was his name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Johnny 5!!

    Weird...I have a habit of naming inanimate objects as well. My drill's name is Romeo and my opaque projector's name is Hector. I think we got it from dad. He was always the first one to personify discarded beer cans.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails