Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Flashback!

Ok, I'll freely admit to owning the NKOTB Christmas CD way back in the day. It was a staple among me and the sibs, and my parents grudgingly allowed it into the holiday rotation, along with Harry Connick, Jr. and the old classic Very Special Christmas albums. Our favorite track was "Funky Funky Christmas," and our very favorite line was when Joey Mac talked about his Santa mishap:

Sneaking downstairs on Christmas Eve
I saw a sight that you just wouldn't believe
St. Nick by the fireplace dusting off his head with a frown on his face
He said hay - said what - he said you - I said what
He said you left the fire burning and I burnt my butt
so now I've learned you've got to turn the fireplace down
so Santa won't get burned


NKOTB was a big freaking deal, as evidenced by their holiday appearance on the Arsenio Hall show. Talk about a blast from the past!



This also happened to be the year that I furiously demanded my dad stop making fun of the NKOTB, because they were going to be BIGGER THAN THE BEATLES!! What do 10-year-olds know, anyway? I believe it was in response to this song, that my dad heard on the radio one morning and then insisted on playing over and over and over for us. I was beside myself with "OMFG! How could they DO that?! That is SO not funny!"



Not that I was ever a big fan of that song, to begin with, what with the OCD and the image of poor grandma getting run over by the sled, but that was just taking it too far.

May your christmases be very funky funky :)

3 comments:

  1. I had not heard that one but since I wasn't a big fan of NKOTB I enjoyed the song.  But the mistletoe reference was a little over the top.
    Isn't NKOTB fads like the Justin Bieber fads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And with that snort...now that BlogFestivus is over, I've had a chance to look back over all the posts and your posts made me laugh the most. So...as I said when I first opened up this writing challenge, I'd like to invite you to write a guest post for Blogdramedy. I hope you'll say yes. If you're interested, DM me on Twitter blogdramedy or shoot me an email at blogdramedy at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails