Monday, April 4, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 1 - Your Favorite Song

Welcome to Week One of the 30 Day Song Challenge! This week's topic is "Your Favorite Song." No conditions, no "favorite song of the decade" or "favorite song of your childhood," just "Favorite Song." Simple enough, right? Apparently not :)

I had to do a lot of thinking on this one. There are a lot of songs that I consider to be favorites, for various reasons - because they remind me of certain times in my life, because they remind me of certain people I've known, because the lyrics speak to me. When I thought "Favorite Song," there was one that instantly popped into my head. But then I started second guessing myself - is that REALLY my favorite song? There are so many others that could hold the title. So many other songs that are in every playlist I put together. So many other bands that would probably make more sense for someone born as recently as 1981. I went back and forth all week long, trying to convince myself that there was another answer somewhere, but when it came down to it, this was the song that always started running through my head - Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road.

Sure, it was written and released before I was even born, but this is a song that I listen to over and over again and never get tired of. Springsteen is an incredibly talented songwriter, and that's not just the Jersey Girl in me talking. He writes beautiful poetry and beautiful music to accompany it, and Thunder Road is the epitome of what makes Spingsteen, Springsteen. It's got everything you could ever ask for - the emotion, the imagery, the soulfulness. Of course, it's also a song that I listened to over and over growing up (in Jersey, would you expect anything less?). When I was younger, I loved the rock and roll version. It was fun to sing along to in the car. Years and years and albums and a live concert later, and my preference has shifted toward the acoustic version of the song. Just so wonderful. So simple, but so wonderful.




So what's your favorite song?

If you want to start thinking ahead for next week, the Week 2 Song Challenge is "A Song from your Childhood."



4 comments:

  1. I'm going with "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals. Love that song - it makes me dance and sing every time I hear it. Reminds me of great times with friends throughout my life. Excellent "message." So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be putting up a post on my favorite soon. You are so right about all the reasons and feelings about songs that make it difficult to pick just one.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok linked up my post but I have not used this link up service before - I shows a little red X next to my link - what's that mean?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... just one song as my favorite... I really don't think I could.. every time I made up my mind, I'd change it again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails