Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wish List Wednesday, Revised

Things You Want Wednesday - Vodka Edition

The pregnancy rate among my circle of friends has exploded recently, and all of them have been asking us mom experts for advice and suggestions. I've decided that I'm going to do my own version of Wish-List Wednesday where I tell you all about stuff that I like and think that you might like, too.

I initially started off just thinking about baby and kid products, but the more I think about it the more I think it should also include mom products or family products or just random things that I like and want to share.

After the events of this weekend I decided that there's no better way to start things off than to showcase my beverage of choice after a long week at the office or day with a tantrumming toddler.

Vodka.




C and I discovered Svedka a few years ago at The Party Source. Vodka has always been my go-to liquor, ever since the early undergraduate years when my roommates and I thought that empty bottles of Absolut made a nice decoration on the top of our cabinets.

Absolut was the mainstay for us in our poor college-student days - not quite the bottom-of-the-barrel but still within the budget of a few chicks who were scraping together change from the couch cushions.

I strayed from my habit every so often, when times were tough and we only had Kamchatka (AKA campshitka, because we were SO original), when circumstances called for a vanilla flavoring (hello, Stoli!) and on the occasions of open bar events when we could indulge in some Grey Goose or Ketel One. When I finally had steady employment we moved a step up the ladder to SKYY. It was a prettier bottle and didn't have that slightly nauseating bite that Absolut had. Then one day we were shopping for the staples and The Party Source had a fancy new display of Svedka. We decided to try it, since the price was better that SKYY and the reviews suggested it was just as good. There has been a bottle in my freezer ever since (not the same bottle, of course!).

Now I'm not claiming that this is a fantastic tasting vodka (it's not). I'm not saying that it would make a great martini (it won't). All I'm saying is that it's better than most of the alternatives in my own personal vodka price range.

If you're looking for a vodka to sit around and sip then go get yourself some Grey Goose. If you're looking for a vodka that blends well with mixers (especially cranberry and lime juice, my favorites!) then this is a good purchase. It won't break the bank and it won't burn your mouth.

**I'd also like to add that I think "tantrumming" should be a word **

4 comments:

  1. Vodka is my go-to beverage after a tantrum too! I'm on vaca right now...and cocktail hour down here starts at 4pm. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah yes .... I like Grey Goose, It makes me feel s-m-a-r-t. Hah! If you're have a horrendous day, try some crappy Ukranian vodka, you'll forget all your worries and probably wake up in an alley, which would be tough to explain, especially if you started drinking at home .... not that that's ever happened to me before ... just saying ... although I hear Kamchatka vodka was very popular in Ohio at one point!!

    http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2002/01/14/daily30.html

    - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!! My sister had it right, she gave me a "new mommy" basket of stuff, it included booze, fabulous smelling lotion and some body scrub.

    Just skip the cute outfit and pampers and give a new mommy booze. Actually just give any mommy booze, you need it at all stages of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone taste things differently but I really wonder if you are mixing the vodka with juices and flavors will you be able to tell the difference between the brands. I think the same applies to whiskey (which is good just on the rocks) too. The real cheapo stuff that is probably part petroleum products should be avoided but the brands you listed will mostly likely taste the same in a mix.

    You should do a blind taste test and report back - oh do the report after you are sober.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails