Monday, June 21, 2010

Sometimes I Feel Old

My baby sister called last week to tell me that she got engaged! She had to turn away from the phone for a second and I heard her ordering two glasses of champagne. It sounds silly, but that's just such an "adult thing" to do. She just turned 25 on Sunday, and I can't believe how grown up she is. In addition to that, my 16-year-old cousin just got her driver's license. I remember when she was born! It feels like so long ago.

Then of course I heard this song that always makes me all teary, that "I Can Tell that We Are Gonna Be Friends" song, and I started thinking about how Charlie is going to be TWO in a few weeks, and OMFG where did the time go?



Sometimes I can't believe that I'm actually a functioning adult member of society. I remember looking at my parents when they were my age and thinking that they were so old and so grown up. I guess now I know that they really had no idea what they were doing, because none of us really do. I don't feel like I should be an adult, sometimes I feel like I'm just bumbling along pretending to be one. I get dressed in adult clothes and go to an adult job and do adult things like pay bills and own a home. But maybe that's how a lot of people feel?

It's just funny how when you're little you spend so much time wishing that you were older, and once you're older you just want time to slow down. I guess it was just one of those days, when the speed of time and your own mortality are just too much to contemplate.

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails