Monday, May 24, 2010

BABIES!



I went to see this last night with a good mommy friend of mine. I bookmarked the trailer months ago and nearly forgot about it, until the big advertising push right before mother's day. I knew it wasn't something husband C would be interested in, given that there are no car crashes, twisted subplots, guns, or dialogue, and it just seemed like the kind of movie that would be more fun to see with another mom.

It was the most entertaining movie I've seen in a long time. It was fascinating to see how universal baby behaviors are - that so much overlaps from American civilization to Namibia in terms of how babies develop and how they interact with each other and with their environment. Everything was just so similar, from watching all four babies try to chew on everything in sight, watching them interact with the animals in their environments (cats are apparently very popular pets), and watching the two boys develop a fascination with a certain part of their anatomy. It starts early with them, doesn't it? And some things never change.

I laughed often because I recognized my own baby in the four featured in the film, and cried when Mari celebrated her first birthday and the others took their first steps of independence. So bittersweet to watch those milestones pass. Everyone tells you that all the time before you have a child, but it takes actually having one and living that experience to understand just how quickly time can pass.

Right now isn't the best time for us to add another family member, but this movie certainly made my uterus ache. I would say that if you have even the tiniest bit of baby fever then you should probably skip this one.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this movie! Sounds great! However... with my already well-developed case of baby fever, perhaps I shouldn't watch it just yet, LOL. FireMan might not appreciate me wanting another little one even more than I do already, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails