Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wish List Wednesday

Once again brought to you by The Foster Family blog :)



What are the top four books waiting for you to pick up?

I finally managed to pick up and finish two books that have topped my list for the last few months - The Time Traveler's Wife and The Handmaid's Tale. Both were excellent reads and completely lived up to my expectations!

That said, the list of books that I want to read is pretty much never-ending. Right now some of them are more practical than fun fiction, but it is what it is.

1. Understanding Exposure



I recently became the proud owner of a refurbished DSLR and I'm dying to jump in and learn every little thing about it. This particular book has come very highly recommended by a few photographer friends of mine. (side note - if you're looking at buying a DSLR, check out the factory refurbished section on adorama.com!)


2. Packaging Boyhood: Saving Our Sons from Superheroes, Slackers, and Other Media Stereotypes



It's true, I sold my soul to the corporate world a few years back. I stay true to my sociological roots, though, and gender socialization has always been an area that captured my interest. A message board mom mentioned this book and I've been dying to read it ever since.


3. The Yankee Years



I fully intended to buy this book the day it came out, but life got in the way. Joe Torre wrote this book about his time at the helm of the Great Yankee Dynasty. I'm dying to get a look at the inside happenings of those awesome years. I love the game of baseball, but it's the inner workings of the sport that really interests me - the scouting, the statistics, and the politics. We still miss you, Joe!

4. Harry Potter and Philosophy: What if Aristotle Ran Hogwarts?



I'm absolutely a Harry Potter junkie. I'm sad that there will never be another HP book to read, but I think this one looks like it could hold my attention for a bit. It features essays from 17 philosophers, and each one takes a look at different aspects of the HP story. The one that initially caught my attention is "Feminism and Equal Opportunity: Hermione and the Women of Hogwarts." Sounds like fun to me!


Hopefully at some point I'll be able to make it through all four of these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails