Thursday, December 3, 2009

Agnostic Parenting

I consider myself to be agnostic. I know that there are many others out there who also identify themselves as such, but I don't know many other agnostic parents in real life. I often find myself wishing that I had more people around me who felt/believed in a similar manner. I'm lucky enough to have found one other agnostic mommy-friend, and we've been talking about taking our children to a Universalist church. I hope we can get our butts in gear and make it over there sometime. While I don't subscribe to any one religion, and we're not planning to raise Baby C in accordance with any rules, I do think it's important for him to be exposed to all of the possibilities. I want him to understand what religion is, what it means, and what it stands for. I want him to know that it's ok for different people to believe different things, and that it's also ok if he doesn't want to believe in anything at all. If he chooses to follow a religious path then I want him to do it out of knowledge and education, rather than out of convention. I believe that it's an adult choice that should be made with an adult mindset.

So why does it matter? Why am I telling you all of this? Well, in addition to my agnostic mommy-friend, there's another couple we're friends with who don't have children yet. The husband (M) is an atheist and the wife (K, same K who's in my book club) is agnostic. A recent conversation between the four of us spurred me to start a list of blog posts I'd like to write on the topic of religion. So that's the background, that's what I am. I wanted to share that information up front so that things I say from here on out will have some context.

3 comments:

  1. I know, I really want to make it to a UU service! I've been working a lot of Sundays but I'll definitely let you know next time I have one off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one on "Agnostic Parenting" and it helps a lot.

    If you are a person who want to learn about parenting and love your family then you should enjoy

    the content of this blog http://todayscliche.com/. Because I did and hope you would love too.

    You have a nice blog. Keep up the good work.

    Thanks,
    martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one on "Agnostic Parenting" and it helps a lot.

    If you are a person who want to learn about parenting and love your family then you should enjoy

    the content of this blog http://todayscliche.com/. Because I did and hope you would love too.

    You have a nice blog. Keep up the good work.

    Thanks,
    martin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails