Thursday, April 17, 2008

Another Donut Day Catastrophe

2 days later, but work has picked up quite a bit again and by the time I get home at night I have no desire to look at a computer for even a second longer.

The bagel confusion has happened again. Thankfully, this time it didn't bring me to tears, I was just extremely irritated. I know who it is now and some Nesties suggested that I drop not-so-subtle hints within earshot of this person how silly it is to bring bagels on Donut Tuesday.

It was absolutely gorgeous out yesterday and it's supposed to be nice again today, which gives me very little motivation to sit through my theory class. Luckily Baby Charlie has decided that it's more important to amuse his mother between 5:00 and 7:30 on Wednesdays than to sleep, so at least I have that to distract me from the theoretical drubble that my fellow sociologists discuss. Unfortunately I don't think he's sleeping anywhere even close to the 16 hours that the baby books say that they sleep at this point. I don't think I'm going to see an uninterrupted night of sleep until at least Christmas. That doesn't even take into account my own tossing and turning, there are just no comfortable positions left. It's going to be a looooong 16weeks. (that sounds familiar, I think I said something similar last week - amazing how every day I wake up feeling larger and larger)

I'm beginning to prepare for my prelim exams - PhD-wise, it's the last step before I write my dissertation. I'm petitioning our department head to let me take the new exam, a weekend take-home essay, rather than having to take the old crappy ones, two 8-hour-lock-you-in-an-office-with-no-resources-and-see-how-much-crap-you-can-remember exams. The take-home will be offered in September which means that I'd be able to start my dissertation proposal in October and still have a chance at meeting my self-imposed 2010 deadline of completion. Luckily I've seen enough women come through my program pregnant and with very young children, so I'm not worried about whether or not it can be done.

Along the topic of school and UC, this article was in the newspaper this morning:



The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden announced on Wednesday, April 16, that a 3-month-old binturong (bearcat) has returned for the first time since 2004. The bearcat has yet to be named.

"The University of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden have a long and rich history of collaboration," said UC President Nancy Zimpher. "Our relationship goes beyond just that of being neighbors."

"Alice," the former Zoo bearcat, regularly attended UC home football and basketball games for almost 13 years. Similar plans are anticipated for the new bearcat. The name is set to be announced on May 9.



Just thought I'd share for the other Bearcat fans out there! Can't wait to meet our little BearKitten!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails