Monday, April 23, 2012

Inspiration in an Unlikely Place

So that giant hill on the Pig course I always talk about? Gilbert Ave and Eden Park? I've been running it on Saturdays in preparation, five times now. Five long climbs up to the top, where I'm rewarded with this amazing view of the Ohio River, stretching East toward "home."



Five climbs, five weeks of aching leg muscles and screaming lungs, and five times I've noticed this little bit of inspiration in a very unlikely place.

It's 2012, and there's still a phone booth in this particular part of this particular park. It's the landmark that signifies the end of the big climb, so it's certainly a relief to see it, but I always think "really? a phone booth? in 2012?" and shake my head.



Obviously, it's not the phone booth, itself, that I draw inspiration from, but the quote that someone scrawled inside it, in sunny yellow marker.



"Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Said by the White Queen, herself, through the pen of Lewis Carroll. And really, it's only 26.2 miles. What are some *real* feats of impossibility that I could dream up?

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.

6 comments:

  1. That you knew the quote was by Lewis Carroll impressed me.  Does the phone work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing when I passed that phone booth (numerous times as well :) ) and I always wondered what was written inside! 

    Can't wait to run up this hill on race day! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was browse the tunes over at Itunes and found this song.  Nice beat.  Anyway I remember you saying your name is often mispronounced so I figure you'll like this song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E879PGlGwPg 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that song, thanks for posting! When I first heard it, I felt as though it was written just for me. It's actually part of my running playlist, scheduled to come on just after the hill in my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'll have to try to remember to head up there with some quarters sometime.

    I love Lewis Carroll, one of my all-time favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails