Saturday, December 11, 2010

White Wine in the Sun

I posted this video last year because I heard it on a podcast and totally fell in love with it. This song pretty much sums up how I look at the holiday season from an agnostic standpoint; as a celebration of family.



Being so far away from my family and having a small child of my own, this section at the end makes me cry every time I hear it.

And you my baby girl
My jetlagged infant daughter
You'll be handed round the room
Like a puppy at a petting zoo

And you’re too young to know
But you will learn one day
That wherever you are and whatever you face
These are the people
Who'll make you feel safe in the world

My sweet blue-eyed girl

And if my baby girl
When you're twenty one or thirty one
And Christmas comes around
And you find yourself 9000 miles from home

You’ll know whatever comes
Your brothers and sisters and me and your mum.
Will be waiting for you in the sun


Because that's really what it's all about, after all. Being around the people who love you unconditionally. Forget about the dancing animal toys and the webkins and the leapfrogs and the legos and all the other junk that dominates the month of December - what matters are the memories and the connections and the life that we make for ourselves and the impact that we have on others. I think everyone can get on board with that.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, this one makes me tear up every time too.

    I love Tim Minchin so very much :-) We have tickets to see him at the Sydney Opera House in March next year, he'll be performing with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not gonna lie, I was wondering where you were going with the "agnostic viewpoint on Christmas", LOL, but reading the words (can't watch videos on this computer, hmph!)... I love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails