Friday, July 8, 2011

The Joy of Reading

So, everyone and their mother has been blogging about the Hunger Games series lately, which is funny, because the trilogy has already been written and movies are already being cast. I guess there's just a large group of us who are way behind the times.



Rarely do books and movies live up to their hype, but the first two books have been the best books I've read since Harry Potter. Best to the point where I started Catching Fire (book 2) at 8:30 on Wednesday night and stayed up until 2:00 the next morning because I just couldn't put it down. I haven't had a reading marathon like that since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Back in the day, reading like that was a regular occurrence. I loved nothing more than sitting up late at night, lost in a good storyline.

I'm number 13 on the holds list for Mockingjay (book 3) in the local library system. I pitied myself on Facebook and was inundated with offers to lend me copies of the book, but I think I'd actually prefer to wait for it - it gives me something to look forward to. Drags the experience out a little more.

I'm always mindful of the fact that my mother did an excellent job instilling the love of reading in all three of her kids, and I hope to do the same for Charlie. I can't wait to share some of my all-time favorite books with him - Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing, Harry Potter, Henry Huggins, Goosebumps - all the classics! Right now he's very much into his Star Wars sound book, which is really meant for grown-ups. Go, Dogs, Go! and Where the Wild Things Are still make regular appearances at bedtime readings.

Although, Go, Dogs, Go! is making me feel a bit stabby, lately. It might have to "disappear" for a week or so ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails